Invest in the Caribbean
Enjoy the skies, the water, the views.

Real Estate &
from affordable to luxury

Caribation logo for rentals and real estate

Caribation. The sunny side of your life.

Bungalow for rent

Bookmark Caribation: Ctrl-D

National flag Dominican RepublicEmergency phones
Dominican Republic
Ambulance 809-532 0000
Fire Brigade:
Santo Domingo 809-682 2000
Boca Chica 809-523 4626
Puerto Plata 809-586 2312
Santo Domingo 809-682 2151
Puerto Plata 809-586 2331
National flag CubaEmergency phones Cuba
Ambulance (Havana)
838 1185
838 2185
Fire Brigade: 105
Police: 106
Drug Unit: 103

Home | Mobile | About us | Contact Deutsch Deutsch Italiano Italiano Russian Русский Dominican Русский

Palma Real

Legal Residency in the
Dominican Republic


Temporary and permanent
Documentation required

How to become legal resident in the Dominican Republic?

New from July, 2012: You should apply for temporary or permanent residence in the Dominican consulate in your country of origin. Until now it was possible to apply in Santo Domingo: this has changed.

Caribation customers who purchase property in the Dominican Republic want to obtain a status of a legal resident in our country. The procedure is complicated and it usually takes about then one year to complete. (You certainly may continue living in the house you have purchased in the meantime). Caribation has complied here the documents required for both Temporary and Permanent Residence status:

Temporary (Provisional) Residence

Apply here:

View Larger Map

Address: Department of Migration (Extranjería)
Av. George Washington (Malecón, a boulevard along the sea)
Centro de los Heroes, Santo Domingo.
Tel. 809 508-2555 Ext. 246

Office hours: Monday to Friday from 8 to 3 pm
Depositing of documents closes: 2 pm

Processing time: three to six months.

The application for Temporary Residence is submitted to the Dominican Migration Department. Once granted, it will be valid for one year. It will entitle you to live and work legally in the Dominican Republic. You won't be required to purchase a tourist card to enter the country. After one year, you will renew your temporary permit for one more year, which is will be easier then the first-time application. After five years as a temporary you will be able to change your status to permanent.

Tell us your experience while applying for the residence:

Documents required to become legal resident

The following documents need to be submitted to the Department of Migration when applying for the Temporary Residence:

Application for Temporary Residence Form

The original and three copies required.

Birth Certificate


The certificate as well as all other non-spanish documents must be translated into Spanish by professional translator and legalized first in the Dominican consulate abroad and then at the Legalization Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Santo Domingo and the Attorney General’s Office.

Proof of Financial Solvency


These can include:

  • A property title, issued by the Title Registrar Office
  • emploment contract
  • certificate of deposit in a Dominican bank
  • bank account statement from a Dominican bank
  • car ownership title
All these documents need to be issued by institutions domiciled in the DR. Foreign properties or bank accounts are not considered. Required are the original and three copies of each document.



Four 2” x 2” frontal photos of the applicant’s face and two 2” x 2” profile photos.

Letter of Sponsorship

Should be signed by a Dominican citizen or a foreign legal resident in the DR. The guarantor assumes responsibility for any expenses the beneficiary may incur, including the the costs of deportation should this become necessary. Thel Letter of Sponsorship needs to be signed before a Dominican notary public and legalized by the Attorney General’s Office. An original and three photocopies are required.

Additionally, if the guarantor is not the parent or spouse of the applicant, an affidavit on the solvency of the guarantor, signed by himself and two witnesses and duly legalized by a notary public are necessary. Also required: a copy of the ID (cedula) of the Notary Public that procured the legalization of the guarantor letter and the sworn statements (affidavits).

Medical Tests


Results of a physical health examination, including a general physical, blood test (VDRL), a chest x-ray and a HIV test, all performed by a medical professional appointed by the Department of Migration. (The tests are made in the same building where you deposit the paperwork. Updated in May 2012).

Certificate of Good Conduct (no criminal record)


The certificate must be issued by the Police or Justice authority of your country of origin. Three copies and the original must be deposited. The certificate must be translated into Spanisch and legalized by a Dominican consulate abroad and then again by the Exterior Ministry in Santo Domingo.

Did you buy Real Estate through Caribation recently?

Our lawyers would be glad to assist you with obtaining the Resident Status.

The first interview is always free to Caribation customers and legal fees are low.

Please note:

This list above might probably not yet be complete in your case. Below, some other documents you might be required to present, depending on your personal circumstances

Marriage Certificate. Only necessary if both spouses are applying for the residence visa. The document needs to be translated into Spanish by a legal interpreter and legalized at the Legalization Department of the Ministry of Foreign Relations or the Attorney General’s Office. The original and three copies need to be deposited.

If the couple was married in the Dominican Republic, a copy of the marriage act needs to be legalized at the Central Electoral Board (JCE). The applicant needs to also include a photocopy of the identification card (cedula) of the Dominican spouse and if the spouse is a legal resident, a copy of the permanent residence card or cedula of the foreigner. If the applicant is a child of Dominican parents, he should include a copy of the cedula and marriage act of the parents. The marriage act needs to be legalized at the Ministry of Foreign Relations and the Attorney General’s Office.

If the person is a child of a legal resident, a copy of the Dominican permanent residence should be included, foreigner'd ID (cedula) and marriage certificate of the parents. The marriage certificate needs to be legalized at the Ministry of Foreign Relations Legalization Department or the Attorney General’s Office. If the applicant's parents were married abroad, the marriage act needs to be legalized by the Dominican consulate in the applicant's foreign jurisdiction.

Work Contract. Applies if already employed. Original and three copies.

Permanent Residence

Where to apply? In the same office where you have appplied for the temporary one:
Government Department: Department of Migration Location: Centro de los Heroes, Av. George Washington. Tel. 809 508-2555, Ext. 242, 246 Office hours: Monday to Friday 8 am to 3 pm Time for depositing documents: 8 am to 2 pm Processing time: two to three months.

At the time the Temporary Residence card expires, the applicant needs to apply for a Permanent Residence status. Permanent residence cards can then be renewed for annual or three-year periods. If five years elapse after expiry of a permanent residence card, the applicant technically loses his residency. The permanent residence card will then allow you to receive a "cedula" or Dominican ID card. It will be issued by the Junta Central Electoral office (Plaza de la Bandera).

Documents requested by the Department of Migration (please check above for detailed requirements of each document):

Permanent Residence Application Form.

Gurarantors' Statement.

Good conduct affidavit by two witnesses

Certificate of Good Conduct issued by Dominican Police.

Temporary Residence Card

Four 2” x 2” front-face and two 2” x 2” profile photos.

Medical Examination Results.

     Found on Google News (residency,dominican)

Tue, 20 Jun 2017


The Lost Prospects of Cuba
The people in charge of applying for and obtaining his Dominican residency, which should have been relatively easy given his marital status, mishandled the paperwork badly. And so he had no residency status anywhere -- which meant he could not obtain ...

Thu, 22 Jun 2017

Northwestern University NewsCenter

Student and Resident Receive AMA Excellence in Medicine Awards
Northwestern University NewsCenter
Quentin Youmans, 15' MD, a resident in internal medicine, received the 2017 Excellence in Medicine Leadership Award, given annually to medical students, residents, fellows and early-career physicians who have exhibited outstanding leadership in ... has ...

Mon, 26 Jun 2017

NKOTB, Paula Abdul and Boyz II Men; Yo Gotti and Meek Mill; Joan Soriano: Also Playing
Destiny is impossible to evade, and there may be no better proof of that than Soriano, a Dominican Republic native and one of the most popular purveyors of what's called bachata - a style of romantic music developed in the Dominican that combines Latin ...
Transformers Franchise Losing Mark Wahlberg After 'The Last Knight'CDA News
'Transformers: The Last Knight' Featurette Shows Michael Bay's 3D Filming StrategyOuter Places
'Transformers: The Last Knight' Review: The Glass Ceiling of Robot Alien MoviesEntertainment Tonight
Earn The Necklace
all 574 news articles »
Tue, 13 Jun 2017

ACLU (blog)

The Supreme Court Strikes Down a Nationality Law That Treated Fathers Differently Than Mothers Based on Outdated ...
ACLU (blog)
The case centered on Luis Ramon Morales-Santana, a U.S. resident for more than 40 years, who was born in the Dominican Republic in 1962. His father, a U.S. citizen, later married his mother, a citizen of the Dominican Republic, and they moved to the ...
Notorious RBG Strikes Down Sexist Citizenship LawGOOD Magazine
Gender-Based Citizenship Rules Unconstitutional, Supreme Court SaysBloomberg
High Court Chucks Gender-Based Citizenship DivideCourthouse News Service
SCOTUSblog (blog) -KQED -Vocativ -Supreme Court of the United States
all 50 news articles »

© 2001-2017 Caribation

House in Sosua in the Dom Rep

House in Sosua, close to beach $195 000

caribbean apartment with ocean view

Apartment with Ocean View for rent in a beach area

To the girls

red heart club


Learning IT on workshops in the Dominican Republic New!

IT courses in the Dom Rep
Bitcoin Workshop

National flag Dominican Republic
National flag Dominican Republic
National flag Cuba
National flag Dominican RepublicNational flag Cuba
National flag Dominican Republic
Bitcoins acceppted here